Gretchen Hofmeister, 2001 Carlson Award Winner, Chemistry Department Posted on October 24th, 2016 by

2001 Carlson Award Winner, Gretchen Hofmeister, Chemistry Department

Gretchen Hofmeister

Though this professor teaches what students describe as “one of the toughest and most dreaded” classes at Gustavus, high praise has streamed in from students with an astonishing variety of majors: studio art, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, criminal justice, economics, management, international management, life science teaching, history, philosophy, psychology, and political science.

They praise her “inexhaustible supply of energy and passion” in the classroom. One student noted that “every morning at the beginning of her… lecture, she comes running (I mean running!) down the steps into the auditorium, jumping around, beaming with excitement.” Another reported that “she positively sends out rays of enthusiasm as she bounces around up in front of the class lecturing.” Yet another student referred to her “elegant steric hindrance, dancing with her giant model kit.”

They praise her rigor: “Indubitably the most difficult course I have ever taken,” wrote one student. Another stated, “The challenging level at which she teaches is one of the things that makes her class so valuable.”

But most of all, they praise her empathy and support. One grateful student wrote, ”When I was in doubt what to do for my major, she was always there to back me up. She saw many things inside of me that I never knew existed…. She saw through some of my faults and knew that I could do it. She believed in me when I didn’t.”

The name of the dreaded course is “Organic Chemistry” and the recipient of the 2001 Edgar Carlson Award for distinguished teaching is the “extremely fabulous,” “amazing,” “dynamic,” “totally devoted, “incredibly sensitive” Dr. Gretchen Hofmeister.

Dr. Hofmeister has degrees from Carleton College and the University of California at Berkeley. After post-docs at Berkeley and M.I.T, Dr. Hofmeister returned to her alma mater as a visiting professor of chemistry. In the fall of 1995, Dr. Hofmeister joined the chemistry department faculty of Gustavus Adolphus College, where she has taught organic chemistry, polymer chemistry, general chemistry, and advanced organic chemistry. In addition to her formal classroom teaching, Dr. Hofmeister has continued her teaching in the lab with research students, involving them in her research on new chiral titanium catalysts for stereo selective organic synthesis.

Dr. Hofmeister has a gift for inspiring students to love what is difficult and to work beyond their expectations. Here’s how one student put it: “Anyone who has ever taken or even just heard of organic chemistry knows that it is one of the most challenging courses a college offers. It is often said that by the end of organic chemistry students fall into two categories-those who despise the sight of a molecule containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, and those who think a chemistry model the best toy they’ve come across since Legos. Looking back at my experiences in Organic I and Organic II, I feel that it was an incredibly interesting and challenging subject, but without Gretchen as my professor, I fear my chemistry model kit would have long since been thrown into the Minnesota River….. Gretchen has an exceptional ability to help students relate to the subject matter, whether they are struggling with the basics or racing ahead to new ideas…. Gretchen Hofmeister is most deserving of Gustavus’ highest teaching honor.”

Presented by Eric Eliason
Professor of English
2000 Recipient of the Edgar M. Carlson Award